Petition to ban unnecessary pesticides

A petition started by Professor Dave Goulding and supported by a host of conservation and health charities is calling for the UK Government to ban the use of pesticides in urban areas and to end their sale for use in gardens. The petition, supported by RSPB, PAN UK, Friends of the Earth, Parkinson’s UK, AllianceContinue reading “Petition to ban unnecessary pesticides”

Lecture notes from HBKA convention 2021

One more thing to worry about : Co-formulants by Ed Straw and Mark Brown Firstly, thanks to Ed for helping Janelle out with the IT all day as our very own Richard Skinner tried gallantly to do it remotely from his COVID sick bed (He was really poorly). Many thanks to all the volunteers forContinue reading “Lecture notes from HBKA convention 2021”

The trials and tribulations of first-time candle dipping

A 2kg block of cleaned wax in our possession and the prospect of more energy companies collapsing – so what better way of spending a cold autumn afternoon and preparing for a cold dark winter than candle dipping – How complicated could it be? Having read the books and watched endless YouTube clips it seemedContinue reading “The trials and tribulations of first-time candle dipping”

Apiary meeting report, Swanmore – Saturday 11 September

Here’s a short film from our last apiary meeting of the season (Saturday 11 September). Although overcast, it was a warm, dry day and the bees were very calm! Thanks to them for being on their best behaviour and thank you to Denise, Robin and Louise for leading the inspections and to Zara, Tom andContinue reading “Apiary meeting report, Swanmore – Saturday 11 September”

New Forest apiary meeting, 21 August 2021

“Shall we go or is it best to cancel?” The now familiar pre-apiary meeting phone call. The weather for Ocknell Pond wasn’t looking good, but as we’d cancelled or postponed most of our meetings in 2021, we decided to risk it. “We can always sit in the tent and have a chat!” Members with childrenContinue reading “New Forest apiary meeting, 21 August 2021”

Save the bees!

Pollinators are responsible for one in three of every mouthful we eat. They pollinate our crops, and are essential to the very existence of the plants and trees that support our wild animals and birds. Honeybees in managed hives are responsible for up to 15% of the UK’s insect-pollinated crops. That means the other 85%Continue reading “Save the bees!”

Itchen Valley photography competition

Here’s Esm’ee McConnell’s photograph. I think you’ll agree, it’s a definite winner! Esm’ee’s hoping her picture raises awareness in her age group, highlighting that hoverflies won’t hurt you (they have no stings) and are important pollinators and predators of garden pests. Esm’ee took her picture while walking in one of her favourite places, Itchen ValleyContinue reading “Itchen Valley photography competition”

Autumn in the apiary

2021 was a terrible year. The dreadful weather in May and June led to heavy losses during winter and early spring this year. Sadly, some Meridian members lost all their bees. For those who did bring their bees through winter, the long dry summer helped colonies recover; some lucky members even managed a reasonable crop.Continue reading “Autumn in the apiary”

Fumigating Comb with Acetic Acid

Reusing comb saves the bees time and energy compared to drawing out new foundation. However it’s a good idea to sterilise comb before reuse. Acetic acid can be used in late autumn or winter to sterilise combs against Nosema, chalkbrood and wax moth but it’s better to burn particularly blackened brood comb. What about superContinue reading “Fumigating Comb with Acetic Acid”